AccountRight Plus and Premier, Australia only

Using MYOB Essentials? Find out what you need to do to prepare payment summaries.

You can use the Payment Summary Assistant to prepare and amend these payment summaries (previously known as group certificates):

  • Individual Non-Business
  • Labour Hire
  • Employment Termination Payment (ETP).

You can also prepare the Payment Summary Report (an electronic file also known as EMPDUPE) for lodging your payment summary information to the ATO.


Need more help? Watch a free EOFY webcast and let an MYOB expert explain what you need to do. You can also visit our EOFY Hub (which has a checklist of things to do).


Learn more about the steps to preparing your payment summaries:


How do I amend payment summaries?

If you haven't submitted the EMPDUPE file to the ATO, simply run the Payment Summary Assistant again to generate updated payment summaries for your employees.

If you have already submitted the EMPDUPE file, and you're using AccountRight 2016.2 or later, you can run the Payment Summary Assistant again to generate updated payment summaries for your employees. At step 7 you can specify that the payment summaries you’re preparing are amendments. Note that if you've closed the payroll year, you'll need to restore the backup made before closing the year and prepare the amended payment summaries using that file.

When you print or email an amended summary, or submit the Payments Summary Annual Report file again, those payment summaries will be marked as amendments.

For more information on correcting a mistake on a payment summary, visit the ATO website.

I need to enter pays for the new payroll year but can't print my payment summaries yet. What should I do?

To enter pays for the new payroll year you'll need to close the old payroll year. But if you don't have time to print the payment summaries before entering your first pays for the new year, make a backup of your company file once you know that all payroll information has been entered for all employees. Store it in a safe place on CD/DVD or other external media.

You can then close the payroll year and enter the pays for July. When you're ready to print your payment summaries, restore the backup that you made and use that file to prepare them. If you restore a backup, only use it to prepare and send your payment summaries. Don't use this company file for recording pays or other transactions.

How do I lodge payment summaries to the ATO?

You can use the Payment Summary Assistant to create the Payment Summary Annual Report, also known as the EMPDUPE file. You lodge the report electronically using the ATO's Business Portal. Before you can lodge, you'll need to register for an AUSkey

When you create the EMPDUPE file, save it to a location you can easily access. Then log into the ATO's Business Portal, go to the Lodge file page (you'll see it in menu), select Lodge Browse and then find and select your EMPDUPE file in the window that appears. 

See the ATO's help site for more information about the file transfer feature.

What employment dates are shown on the payment summaries?

The payment summaries show the Employment Dates From: and To:. The dates that will be used depend on the Start Date and any Termination Date entered in the employee's card. The following table summarises these combinations:

Dates entered in the employee's card Dates that will print on the payment summary
Employee start dateTermination date FromTo
Current payroll year- Start date30/6
Pre payroll year- --
Pre payroll yearCurrent payroll year 1/7Termination date
Current payroll yearCurrent payroll year Start dateTermination date
-- "Various""Various"
-Current payroll year 1/7Termination date
How do I view payment summaries from a previous year?

When preparing payment summaries at the end of a financial year, we recommend saving a PDF copy of the payment summaries and storing them should you need to view payment summaries from last year or a previous year.

If you didn't save a copy or can't find them, restore the backup you made before closing your payroll year and reprint the payment summaries using the Prepare Payment Summary Assistant.

Do I have to enter a Tax File Number for all my employees?

Yes. You need to enter Tax File Numbers for all employees whether you print payment summaries for them or not. If you have employees who do not have a Tax File Number, use one of these numbers provided by the Australian Tax Office:

Payee typeTax File Number to use
New payee has not made a TFN Declaration, but 28 days have not passed111 111 111
Payee is under 18 years of age and earnings do not exceed $350 per week, $700 per fortnight or $1,517 per month333 333 333
Payee is an Australian Government pensioner payee444 444 444
Payee chooses not to quote a TFN and has not claimed an exemption from quoting a TFN or does not fit into any of the above categories000 000 000
Why aren't some employees appearing in the Payment Summary Assistant?

If an employee hasn't had payroll activity during the payroll year, or the Employment Basis in their card is set to Other, they won't appear in the Payment Summary Assistant.

How do I exclude an employee from the payment summary process?

To exclude an employee from the payment summary process, set the Employment Basis in their card to Other. This will prevent the employee from appearing in the Payment Summary Assistant.

What can I do if I'm getting an error when preparing payment summaries?

If you keep getting errors when preparing payment summaries, please contact MYOB Technical Support for help on 1300 555 123.