How satisfied are you with our online help?*
Just these help pages, not phone support or the product itself
Why did you give this rating?
Anything else you want to tell us about the help?
- If a customer pays you too much, even via a bank feed or imported statement, record the whole payment in MYOB Essentials
- If a customer has paid an invoice twice, create a customer return for the second payment
- When an overpayment is recorded, a customer credit is created for the overpaid amount
- Credits can be refunded or applied to other open invoices (ask the customer their preferred option)
- From the Sales menu, choose Take payment.
- Select the customer in the From field and choose the Into account.
Enter the total amount of the payment (including the overpayment) in the Payment amount field.
- Ensure all other details of the payment are entered. See Customer payments for more information.
- Click Save when you're finished.
You'll receive a message confirming that an invoice has been overpaid, and that you can process the return.
- Click OK.
- If the overpayment came through in a bank feed, match the overpayment amount in the bank feed to the payment you created above.
- Process the customer return (Sales menu > Process customer returns) and choose whether you want to apply the overpaid amount to an invoice or refund the customer. You can also hold onto the credit to apply to a future invoice.
Need more details? See processing customer returns.