You can add various types of content to your website, including news, images and files for download. You do this by adding pages to your website.
Any pages you add will be linked to in the public menu on the left hand side of your website, so your visitors will find them.
There are several types of pages you can add to your website:
- News - Use your News page to keep your website visitors up to date with what's happening in your business, and notify them about any sales, special offers or events taking place. You can also link your social network accounts, allowing you to easily update Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn whenever you update your website. See Your News page below.
- Downloads - Use your Downloads page to share files with visitors to your site. You might want to upload catalogues, a portfolio or more detailed information about your products and services. See Your Downloads page below.
- Gallery - Use your gallery to add pictures to your website. You can show off your products and services, create an online store, introduce your staff or offer testimonials from satisfied customers. See Your Gallery below.
- Pay online page - Give your customers the option of paying their invoices online with PayPal by visiting your Pay online page. For more information, see Your Pay online page below.
It's easy to add a new page to your website. Just log in to your website and select a page from the option below the Add these heading in the Site map menu on the left-hand-side of your site.
Note that you'll need to add content to your pages before they show up in your website's public menu.
Including gallery and news content on your homepage
You can choose to include some of the content from your News and Gallery pages on your homepage, so your visitors can see your latest news and best products at a glance.
To choose whether to include news and gallery items on your homepage, click Content visibility in the Settings toolbar.
For the Gallery and News items in the list, select whether to show this content only on your homepage, only on a separate News or Gallery page, or on both your homepage and a separate page.
Note that you need to select Both or Separate page if you want to be able to view this content on a page of its own, and if you want to include a link to your gallery or news page in your website's public menu.
You can choose to display your favourite gallery items on your homepage by selecting the Show this gallery item on my homepage option when you create or edit an item. The number of items you can show depends on your chosen theme, and if you've selected more items than this (or if you don't select any items), a random selection will appear.
For more information, see Setting visibility options for your website content and Creating a gallery and adding gallery items.
Use your News page to keep your website fresh and to inform your visitors about the latest happenings at your business. You might like to post news about upcoming sales and promotions, events or exciting new products.
You can link your social media accounts to your website, to help engage with potential customers in a more relaxed environment. You can choose to post your Facebook, Twitter or LinkedIn updates to the News page on your website, or share your news items to your social media accounts.
For more information about adding news to your website and linking your social media accounts, see Adding news.
Use your Downloads page to share files with your customers. You can upload a catalogue, a portfolio, detailed information about your products and services, or anything else that's too long or in the wrong format to share using your gallery.
Your Downloads page will be displayed as a list of files available for download, which can be sorted by type, date and title.
For more information about using your Downloads page to share files with your customers, see Sharing files with your customers.
Your gallery is a great tool for adding images to your website. You can use it to showcase all aspects of your business, from your products or services to your staff and venue.
Check out these ideas for getting the most out of your gallery:
- Upload images of the products you sell and add a price and description.
- Turn your gallery into an online store and start selling your gallery items online with PayPal. For more information, see Selling your products and services online.
- Show your clients' logos, along with their testimonials about your business. Note that you'll need to get their permission before doing this.
- Display awards, affiliations and accreditation logos.
- Introduce your staff, along with information about their skills and experience.
- Showcase your venue by adding images of your facilities, along with a summary of what you offer.
- Display samples of work you've completed, including 'before' and 'after' images.
- Use categories to separate your gallery into related sections. For example, if you're a jewellery store, you could categorise your gallery items into rings, necklaces, earrings and so on. Your website visitors can then browse your gallery in a way that suits them.
You can make your gallery look more professional and give your website visitors a better experience by making sure your gallery is optimally set up. Here's some tips:
- Add good quality photos of your items or services. For more information, see Getting great images for your website.
- Include clear descriptions so your buyers know exactly what they're getting.
- Categorise your items by type so it s easy for your customers to find similar products.
- Add keywords to your gallery items so they can be found in searches.
- Sell gift certificates for your in-person services.
If you've turned on the Pay online feature, you can choose whether to show a link to your Pay online page in the public menu on your website. You can change what the link is called (for example, 'Pay an invoice' or 'Make a payment') on the Sales and payments settings page.
If you choose not to show this link, your customers will still be able to pay invoices online by entering the Pay online web address you give them into the address bar of their web browser. However, there will be no link to this page from anywhere on your website. You can see your Pay online page's web address on the Sales and payments settings page once you've enabled the feature.
Note that you can't show this link in your public menu until you've turned on the Pay online feature. You do this on the Sales and payments settings page.
For more information about using your Pay online page, see Getting paid online.