With MYOB Atlas' simple email forwarding feature, you'll be able to present a professional image to your customers with personalised email addresses. Create email addresses that match your domain name - for example, if your domain name is bluebowlhomewares.com, you could create the email address email@example.com. When your customers email your new addresses, the emails will be automatically forwarded to an email account of your choice (for example, a Gmail account).
Don't have a domain name? To set up email forwarding, you first need to have a domain name. Or, you can choose to link an existing domain name to your website instead (making sure you choose one of the two I want to create email addresses options when selecting an email template in step 4).
Already linked a domain name? If you've already linked a domain name to your website, and want to use it for email forwarding, you'll need to make sure that you chose one of the two I want to create email addresses options when selecting an email template in step 4 of Linking domain names to your website. If you didn't select one of these two options, you'll need to contact your domain name registrar again, making sure you choose the second option (I want to create email addresses to match my linked domain name) in step 4. This is so your registrar can change the MX record for your domain name.
To set up email forwarding, complete these tasks:
- Click Email addresses in the Settings menu.
- In the Set up a new email address section, enter:
the first part of the email address you want to create (that is, the part of the email address that will appear before the '@' symbol). For example, if you were creating the email address firstname.lastname@example.org, you'd type 'sales' in this field.
the domain name you want to create the email address with. For example, if you've purchased or linked more than one domain name, you'll need to choose the one you want to use from the drop-down list.
a name to help you identify the email address in the Email addresses list at the bottom of the page.
In the Set up email forwarding section:
- enter the email address you want to forward emails to. This should be an existing external email address that you (or the person who will be using the address you're creating) has access to (say, a Gmail address).
- select the Make this email address active option (also see How and why would I make an email address inactive? in the FAQs below).
- Once you're finished, click Add email address.
To read emails that have been sent to an email address you created in MYOB Atlas, just log in to the email account that you chose to forward email to (say, your Gmail account). Any emails sent to your new address will appear in the inbox of this account.
Not sure where your email addresses are forwarding email? Check the Email addresses section at the bottom of the Email forwarding page of your website.
You can send emails from your new email address by using the email account that you chose to forward email to (say, your Gmail account). When you send an email, you can select your new email address in the From field, so that this is the address that your recipient sees. But first, you need to add your new email address to the email account you chose to forward email to.
This process will vary depending on your email provider. If you use:
- Windows Live, Hotmail or MSN, see the Windows Live help.
- Yahoo! or Yahoo!7, see the Yahoo! help.
- another email provider, you'll need to check their help documentation (or their website) to see whether they support email aliases, and/or to get help setting one up.
- Log into the Gmail account that you're forwarding email to. This is the account you entered in the Forward email to field when you set up your new email address in MYOB Atlas.
- Go to your Gmail settings and click the Accounts and Import tab.
- Click the Add another email address link.
Enter a name to appear on outgoing emails, and the new email address that you created in MYOB Atlas, then click Next Step.
Make sure the email address you enter is one that you created in MYOB Atlas, and that it's been set up to forward emails to the Gmail account you're currently logged in to.
- Select the Send through Gmail option and click Next Step.
- Click Send Verification. An email message will be sent to the address you entered, and then automatically forwarded to the Gmail account you're logged in to.
- In a new window or tab, go to your Gmail Inbox and open the Gmail Confirmation email.
- Click the confirmation link in the email, or copy the confirmation code and paste it into the Enter and verify the confirmation code field.
- The new email address will now be available to select in the From field when you're sending email.
To send an email from your new email address, click the down arrow in the From field when you're composing an email. From the list, select the email address you want to use to send the email.
For more information on using Gmail to send email from a different email address, see the Gmail help.
For information on MYOB Atlas pricing, log in to your website and click My account on the Settings menu.
To edit or delete an email address you've set up to use email forwarding with, click Email addresses in the Settings menu. In the Email addresses section at the bottom of the Email forwarding page, click Edit or Delete for the email address you want to edit or delete.
You may need to make one or more of your email addresses inactive if you choose to downgrade your MYOB Atlas plan. In this case, the number of active email addresses you're allowed will decrease. Before you downgrade you'll be asked to make sure that the addresses you want to keep are active, and all others are set as inactive.
To make an email address inactive, click Email addresses in the Settings menu, and click the Edit link next to the email address you want make inactive. On the Edit email address page, deselect the Make this email address active option. Once you're finished, click Update.
In the Email addresses list at the bottom of the Email forwarding page, you can see the time and date of the last email forwarded for each of your email addresses.
If you think your email address might not be working, try sending a test email to it and checking whether this time and date is updated. If you don't receive the test email, check that you've entered the correct email address to forward to, and that the email hasn't been sent to your Spam folder.
Make sure you send your test email from a different address to the one that will be receiving forwards. This is because some email providers aren't able to forward emails to the same address that they've been sent from.
To find out who is managing your domain names, you can do a WHOIS search.
To do this, do a Google search for the term 'WHOIS search'. You'll find numerous websites that allow you to search the WHOIS records for your domain names. The WHOIS records will include details about the company who manages your domain names.