This article is only relevant if you're using MYOB AE or MYOB AO on a desktop computer in your practice.
Not sure if you've already synced? See Step 1 at To activate contacts migration below.
You can sync, or migrate, all your client and contact data from your desktop MYOB AE/AO to MYOB Practice.
This lets you access your data any time, anywhere (including on a mobile or tablet) regardless of whether your practice server is on or off. This is a pre-requisite for certain features in MYOB Practice.
When you or anyone else adds or edits clients on your desktop MYOB AE/AO, those changes will be automatically synchronised into MYOB Practice.
About the contact sync process
The contact sync process is done in two steps:
- Your contact information is uploaded from your desktop server to the secure MYOB online platform.
This can take a few minutes and up to an hour if you have many contacts that need to be migrated. Once complete, the Contacts Migration system tray icon will change to a green state.
- The contact information is processed and your contacts and clients become available in MYOB Practice.
For most practices, the processing of contacts takes a few hours. However, if you have a large practice (over 10,000 contacts and clients) then this processing can take substantially longer.
Once processed, MYOB Practice will then begin to use the new online contacts stored for all online interactions, improving the speed and performance of MYOB Practice. The data on your practice server will remain the original source.
Once you've synchronised your data you won't be able to turn the sync off.
How to sync your contacts
The best time to start this process is at the end of a working day.
If it's your first time syncing contacts, this process can take some time. We also recommend that you don't make any edits to contacts or clients (that is, any name, address, phone number or extra field) until step 2 is completed, which can depend on the number of contacts within your system.
- You must be logged into AE/AO as an Administrator or Superuser.
- The MYOB OnTheGo API Service must be on and running on the server. If you're not sure, go to Maintenance > Maintenance Map > Online and click Activate OnTheGo.
- The email address entered into your Practice my.MYOB settings belongs to an active administrator employee in your database. This employee must remain active for the contacts migration process to remain working. For this reason, we recommend you use the Practice Disbursement employee if it exists or create a new employee for this purpose.
In MYOB AE/AO on the desktop, go to Maintenance > Maintenance Map > Online > Activate Contacts Migration.
The following message displays The process to migrate contact details online may take some time. Are you sure you want to continue?
If your practice has already enabled to sync contacts, a message will tell you if your practice has already activated contacts sync.
Click Yes. If you’re migrating your client data from a server, an icon will appear in your system tray, similar to a traffic light, displaying the migration progress.
Green: Sync is active and running normally. Changes you make to clients and contacts in MYOB AE/AO will migrate (sync) automatically with MYOB Practice, after the initial upload.
Orange: Clients and contacts are currently migrating (syncing). This can take a few minutes and up to an hour if you have many contacts that need to be migrated.
Red: Sync is inactive. This usually indicates an issue. See Troubleshooting contacts for help getting it started again.
It may take longer for all contacts to be made available online following the initial upload process. Subsequent updates will commence automatically.
Frequently asked questions