Child pages
  • Working out your GST turnover




How satisfied are you with our online help?*

Just these help pages, not phone support or the product itself

Very dissatisfied
Very satisfied

Why did you give this rating?

Anything else you want to tell us about the help?

To be eligible for JobKeeper payments, your business needs to show a fall in actual GST turnover compared to the same period a year ago.

The required fall in GST turnover is:

  • 30% for an aggregated turnover of $1 billion or less
  • 50% for an aggregated turnover of more than $1 billion
  • 15% for ACNC-registered charities other than universities and schools

You will need to check and submit your business's actual decline in turnover information for each JobKeeper extension period to demonstrate eligibility.

For all the details on JobKeeper eligibility for businesses, visit the ATO website .

Working out a change in GST turnover

Use the GST reports in AccountRight to compare your quarterly GST on sales with the same quarter a year ago. You can then use the calculator in the Single Touch Payroll reporting centre to help work out the change in your GST turnover.

You'll need to generate your reports to match your accounting basis (cash or accrual).

This is a basic GST turnover test which might not suit all businesses. For example, you might choose to use the Profit & loss report to determine any change in turnover. If our suggestion below doesn't suit your needs, check with your accounting advisor or see the information on the ATO website about GST turnover tests.


To work out a change in GST turnover

First we'll obtain your GST turnover values for a period in 2020 and the equivalent period in 2019.

  1. In AccountRight, go to the Reports menu and choose Index to Reports.
  2. Click the GST / Sales Tax tab.
  3. Click the GST [Summary - Accrual] or GST [Summary - Cash] report, based on your accounting method.
  4. Click Advanced Filters.
  5. For the date range, choose the July - September 2020 quarter, then click Additional Filters.
  6. For Display Sale Value, select the Tax Exclusive option.
  7. Click OK then click Run Report.
  8. Take note of the Sale Value for your GST and FRE tax codes. You might want to print or save this report for your records. Here's our example for July - September 2020:
  9. Run the report again for the same period in 2019 to obtain the comparison values. You might want to print this report too for your records. Here's our example comparison values for July - September 2019:

Now we'll use these values to determine your change in GST turnover using the calculator in the Payroll reporting centre.

  1. Go to the Payroll command centre and click Payroll Reporting.
  2. Click Payroll Reporting Centre.
  3. Click the JobKeeper eligibility tab.
  4. Enter the values noted from your GST reports. Any decline in GST turnover will be shown. Here's our example:

Any decline shown does not determine your JobKeeper eligibility. It's just a calculated value based on the numbers you entered. If you're unsure of your JobKeeper eligibility, check with your accounting advisor or the ATO.

What's next?

If you believe your business is eligible for JobKeeper payments, visit the ATO website to learn about enrolling for JobKeeper. Once you're enrolled, find out how to get set up and make JobKeeper payments in AccountRight.


What if I'm not registered for GST?

What if I'm not registered for GST?

If you're not registered for GST, you can use your business records that show when you received payments for your sales or when you issued invoices to work out your current GST turnover.

Check the ATO website to learn more about the decline in turnover tests.

Are sole traders eligible for JobKeeper?

Are sole traders eligible for JobKeeper?

Sole traders (with no employees) may be eligible to receive JobKeeper payments if their business has experienced a downturn according to the ATO’s eligibility criteria.

If you’re eligible, there’s no need to set yourself up as an employee in AccountRight – just enrol directly with the ATO.

When you receive JobKeeper payments from the government, you'll need to record these as receive money transactions, ideally into a dedicated income account. For more details see COVID-19 wage subsidy (JobKeeper) payments.