Sometimes you will need to pay a single employee two separate pay rates, for example if duties are performed during a pay cycle for which the employee should earn a different rate of pay.
Here's how to do it.
- Go to the Maintenance command centre and click Maintain Pay Codes.
- Click New.
- As the Pay Code Type, select Gross Earnings.
- Enter a Pay Code, for example ORD ALT, and enter a Pay Code Description, for example Ordinary Rate - Alternative.
- Click OK. The new pay code appears in the list of pay codes.
- Click the new pay code then click the General tab.
Under Pay Code Rate is based on employee's payrate, select Second Payrate.
The Third Payrate option allows you to create a third ordinary pay rate, if required.
- In the Multiplied by field, enter 1.
- Click Close.
- Go to the Maintenance command centre and click Maintain Employees.
- Select the relevant employee.
- Click the Employment Details tab.
- In the Second field, enter the new pay rate.
- Click the Pay Default/Totals tab and click New. The Select a Pay Code to Add window appears.
- Click to highlight the pay code you created above, for example ORD ALT, then click OK.
The pay code is added to the employee's pay codes with the specified rate.
- Repeat steps 2 - 6 for all employees to whom this second rate will apply.
- Click Close.
- Go to the Prepare Pays command centre and click Enter Pays.
- Double-click the relevant employee.
- In the Quantity column for the ORD (Ordinary Time) pay code, enter the amount of hours the employee needs to be paid their ordinary rate.
- In the Quantity column for the ORD ALT (Ordinary Rate - Alternative) pay code, enter the amount of hours the employee needs to be paid their second pay rate.
- Enter any other payments/deductions that are required.
- Continuing processing the pay as normal.