This page shows you what to do if you have received the appropriate letter from Work and Income NZ (WINZ) and you need to set up a deduction from an employee's pay.
- Go to the Maintenance command centre and click Maintain Employees.
- Click Select Employee.
- Click the applicable employee then click OK.
- Click the Compulsory Deductions tab.
- Enter the Customer Reference (for direct credit payee reference). This will appear on the letter received from WINZ.
- Click the Pay Defaults/Totals tab for the applicable employee. You will note that the WINZ Pay Code will have been automatically added to the Employee's Pay Defaults.
- Enter 1.00 In the Quantity column.
- Enter the amount that is required to be deducted each pay (as advised by WINZ) in the Rate column.
The payments will continue to be deducted at this amount unless the net pay drops below the "protected net earnings" (normally 60% of the employee's net pay). Due to these protected earnings the WINZ deduction amount will not appear until the employee's earnings are entered.
- Leave the Type set to Variable.
- Go to the Maintenance command centre and click Maintain Pay Codes.
- Select the WINZ pay code.
- Click the Other tab.
- Select the option Include in Direct Credit Schedule. You will note the bank account number required is already hard-coded into the payroll.
- Go to the Prepare Pays command centre and click Enter Pays.
Process the employee's pay as you normally would.
The WINZ deduction will not appear until the employee's earnings are entered.
WINZ gets this information from the Customer Reference entered in the employee's Compulsory Deduction tab as described in Setting up the WINZ Deduction above. This is all the information they require.