Child pages
  • Fuel tax credits (Australia only)

Versions Compared


  • This line was added.
  • This line was removed.
  • Formatting was changed.
classsection group
classcol span_3_of_5


Australia only

If your business receives fuel tax credits for fuel on machinery, equipment or heavy vehicles, it's easy to record the amount using a journal entry.

The journal entry would involve two accounts:

  • A 4-XXXX or 8-XXXX Income account which would be credited. This increases income which amounts to decreasing expense.
  • A choice of a 2-XXXX Liability account or 1-XXXX Asset account which would be debited.


UI Text Box

If you want to keep your tax credit account grouped with your other tax liability accounts, such as GST collected and paid, choose a liability account. For more information on creating accounts, see Setting up accounts.


Here's an example journal entry for a $1000 fuel tax credit for a reporting period:
Image Removed Image Added


<h2><i class="fa fa-comments"></i>&nbsp;&nbsp;FAQs</h2><br>
UI Expand
titleWhat are fuel tax credits and how do I claim them?

Fuel tax credits are amounts you can claim for the fuel tax included in the price of fuel you acquire and use for your business activities.

If you’re eligible to claim, you'll need to find out the rate you can claim, and these rates vary depending on the fuel you use and your business activities.

Your business must be registered for both fuel tax credits and GST before you can claim fuel tax credits. For more information, see the ATO website.

UI Expand
titleHow do I determine the amount of fuel tax credit I'm eligible to claim?

To determine the amount of fuel tax credit you are eligible to claim for a given BAS period, you can perform a Find transaction on the account - located at the bottom of any command centre.

The credit amount would normally be the net change in the account over your specified period.

UI Expand
titleWhat BAS fields are used for fuel tax credits?

The following BAS fields are used for fuel tax credits:

  • 7C (Fuel tax credit over claim) - This field is used to record fuel tax credits that may have been over-reported in previous periods
  • 7D - (Fuel tax credit) - This field is used to claim fuel tax credits

To activate these fields in BASlink, you'll want to select the I Claim Fuel Tax Credits option in the BAS Info window.

Image RemovedImage Added

 To automatically complete the fields in BASlink, all you need to do is link the fields to your applicable accounts.

UI Expand
titleHow do i track the litres I purchase?

For more information about records you need to keep, see the ATO website.

  1. Create an item to track the fuel.
  2. Enter a purchase using the item created.
  3. Run an Inventory report to calculate the litres purchased in a specific period.
classcol span_1_of_5
classcol span_1_of_5
titleRelated topics

Setting up accounts

General journal entries

Lodge your activity statement (BAS or IAS)