Use a discount item (for a set percentage)
If you regularly receive a specific discount on bills, such as 10% off, you can create an item (similar to a stock item) to represent the discount. You can then add this item to a bill and use it to calculate and apply the discount.
To create the discount item
- From the Purchases menu, choose Items.
- Click Create item.
- Enter a suitable Item Number and Item Name.
- Enter a Buy price as a negative decimal value to represent the discount. For example, a 10% discount would be -$0.10 and a 15% discount would be -$0.15
- In the Allocated to field, select the applicable account.
- Select the applicable Tax type. If you choose a tax type that calculates tax, the discount might not calculate correctly. Check with your accounting advisor if you're not sure what to choose.
- Click Save.
Here's our example of an item which represents a 10% discount.
To use the discount item on a bill
When you create a bill:
- Choose whether bill is GST inclusive or exclusive.
- Add the discount item created above.
- In the Units field, enter the pre-discount value of the bill. The discount percentage will be calculated.
This example shows a bill for goods totalling $112. By entering 112 in the Units column for the discount item, a 10% discount is calculated.