References are bookmarks in PDFs and, from AE/AO version 2017.1, worksheets in spreadsheets.
|UI Text Box|
You can link to worksheets with Excel 2013, Excel 2016, and XLS, XLSX and XLSM file types.
In password-protected files, you can only link to the entire document, not to references in the document.
To use bookmarks when linking the document, make sure you've added bookmarks to the document before you start. For example, using PDF Manager, you can save the bank statement and asset purchase contract as one document with bookmarks for each section. You can then link the bookmarks to specific accounts in the Trial Balance (Workpapers). From AE/AO version 2017.1, you can also link to spreadsheet worksheets.
|title||To link to specific references in an external document|
- Go to the client’s Client Accounting > Trial Balance (Workpapers) tab and click a period in the Select Period section.
- On the TASKS bar, click Open Period. The table for the period appears.
- Select the detail or header account in the table, or select the checkbox in the first column for the selected account.
- On the TASKS bar, click Link Document. The Link External File window appears.
- Ensure that the correct account is displayed in the Account field.
- In the Select external file section, click Browse. The Attach External File window appears.
- Navigate to the location where the PDF file is stored and find the file.
- Click Open.
If your document is a PDF with bookmarks or a spreadsheet with worksheets and you want link to a specific bookmark or worksheet, select the bookmark or worksheet from the Bookmark or Reference drop-down list, depending on your version. Otherwise the link will be to the entire document.
|UI Text Box|
Linking to worksheets using the Reference column is available from AE/AO version 2017.1.
- If you want to include the document in the next rollover period, select the Roll forward checkbox. During rollover, the previous workpaper period is used as a base. The link to the document will be recreated and included on the same account in the next period.
- If you want to check that the link opens correctly, click Preview and close the document when you're done.
- Click Link. The external file is linked to the selected account. The files are displayed as a sub-row under the account in the table. A paperclip () icon identifies a linked document.