What happens when the balance owed reaches zero?
Deductions automatically stop at $0. The final deduction will reduce to ensure it doesn't exceed the balance owed.
For example, the balance remaining is $50 but the deduction amount is $100, the deduction amount will reduce to $50 so that the balance will reach $0.
The only way the balance can go into negative is by someone processing a manual deduction.
- Sam has a $100 deduction per pay and the balance is $400.
- After 4 pay runs, the balance reaches $0.
- At the 5th pay run, in spite of the balance being $0, I decide to deduct a further $100 and I enter this manually on the pay run.
- After this pay run, the balance becomes -$100 and the balance on the employee details page will show -$100.
- When I do the 6th pay run, the deduction on the pay run will again show $0 (because there is nothing to be deducted) and the employee details page still shows -$100 because that is the balance.