Page tree

Versions Compared


  • This line was added.
  • This line was removed.
  • Formatting was changed.
classsection group
<span data-swiftype-index="true">
classcol span_3_of_5

To help businesses cope with COVID-19 restrictions, you might be eligible for financial support. To be eligible, your business needs to show a fall in turnover for a specified period in 2021 compared to an earlier corresponding period.

To see if your business is eligible for support and what periods you need to compare, check the government website for your state or territory:









Working out a change in turnover

Use the Profit and loss report in MYOB to determine your total income for the eligibility period in 2021, then compare it to the corresponding earlier period, for example 2019.

To determine the eligibility periods for the grant or payment you're applying for, check the government website links above.

You can then use the calculator in the Single Touch Payroll reporting centre to help work out your change in turnover.


UI Expand
titleTo work out a change in turnover

First we'll obtain your total income value for the 2021 period then compare it to an earlier corresponding period, for example 2019.

UI Text Box

If you have GST free sales, you might want to use the GST report for activity statement to determine your turnover for the eligibility periods. If unsure, speak to your accounting advisor for guidance. 

  1. In MYOB Essentials, go to the Reports menu and choose Profit & Loss.

  2. Use the From and To fields to enter your eligible 2-week period in 2021. You'll likely want to use the 2-week period that best highlights any decline in turnover.
  3. Take note of the Total income value. You might want to print or save this report for your records. Here's our 2021 example
  4. Run the report again for the corresponding earlier period to obtain the comparison value. You might want to print this report too for your records. Here's an example for 2019:

Now we'll use these values to determine your change in turnover using the calculator in the Payroll reporting centre.

  1. Go to the Payroll menu and choose Single Touch Payroll reporting.
  2. Click the COVID-19 % Turnover Calculator tab.
  3. Enter the values noted from your profit and loss reports into the GST Exclusive Sales fields for the respective periods.

    UI Text Box
    The 2018-2019 Period fields can be used for whatever earlier period you're comparing to.


    Any decline in turnover will be shown, like this example:

UI Text Box

Any decline shown does not determine your grant eligibility. It's just a calculated value based on the numbers you entered. If you're unsure of your eligibility, check with your accounting advisor or the relevant government agency.

Applying for a grant

If you think your business is eligible for a COVID-19 grant, check the government website for your state or territory for application details. If you need help with your application, speak to your accounting advisor.

Recording a grant in MYOB

If you receive a government grant it'll be deposited into your nominated bank account.

We recommend you create an income account in MYOB Essentials to keep the grant payment separate from your other income. This will help your accountant at tax time. Speak to your accounting advisor if you need more advice about this.

How you record the grant in MYOB Essentials depends on whether or not you have a bank feed set up on that account.

UI Expand
titleIf you use bank feeds

If you use bank feeds

The grant payment will appear in MYOB Essentials when your bank feed transactions appear.

  • If you've already recorded a Receive Money transaction for the deposit (as described below), you can match the bank feed transaction to it.
  • If you haven't already recorded a Receive Money transaction for the deposit, you can allocate the deposit to the applicable income account.

For details about working with bank feed transactions, see Working with bank transactions.

UI Expand
titleIf you don't use bank feeds

You'll need to manually record a receive money transaction, like this:

  1. Create a receive money transaction (Banking menu> Receive money). Need a refresher?
  2. In the Deposit into field, choose the account the grant was deposited into.
  3. In the Notes field, enter a description for this transaction.
  4. If you've set up the government as a contact, choose this from the Payer list.
  5. In the Allocate to field, choose the applicable income account.
  6. In the Amount column, enter the grant payment amount you've received.
  7. Choose the applicable Tax Rate. Check with your accounting advisor if you're not sure what to choose.
    Here's our example:
  8. Click Save.
UI Text Box
Attach any grant-related source documents to the relevant expenses using the In tray.
classcol span_1_of_5
classcol span_1_of_5
titleRelated topics

Analyse your profit or loss