This error is typically caused by lock files in the folder where your company file is stored. To fix this issue, you'll need to delete the lock files.
What is a lock file?
When a company file is open, a temporary file called a lock file is created in the folder where the company file is stored. This file keeps track of who is using the company file.
Lock files are named Lock0001.flk, Lock0002.flk, etc.
When you log out of the company file, the lock file is deleted automatically. If AccountEdge isn't closed properly or the program exits abruptly, the lock file isn't deleted. Lock files can accumulate in the company file folder and prevent your company file being opened.
In AccountEdge, the following things can also cause this issue. Check each and rectify if applicable:
- The name of the Macintosh hard disk cannot contain a full stop, exclamation mark, or other invalid character.
- The name of the company file cannot contain more than 31 characters (27 characters plus .myo).
- The name of the folder containing the company file cannot be more than 27 characters long.
- The path to your company file location (hard disk name + folder names + company file name) cannot be more than 128 characters.
- Ensure all users are logged out of the company file.
- Select Find from the computer File menu (or press Command + F).
- In the search field enter .flk and click the Enter key.
- Drag and drop all lock files located in the same folder as your company file, for example Lock0001, Lock0002, etc., in the Trash or hold down the Ctrl key, click the file and select Move to Trash.
Using Trend Micro antivirus software?
When using AccountEdge, the lock files are typically removed automatically when AccountEdge closes. However, Trend Micro antivirus software can sometimes prevent the automatic removal of the lock files. This means even if you manually remove the lock files (as described above), the issue will re-occur.
To fix this, you can set an exclusion in Trend Micro for your AccountEdge folder (the location where AccountEdge is installed - by default within the Applications folder).
Refer to your Trend Micro documentation for instructions on adding an exclusion to your AccountEdge folder.