Child pages
  • Adjusting leave entitlements

You are viewing an old version of this page. View the current version.

Compare with Current View Page History

« Previous Version 10 Next »




How satisfied are you with our online help?*

Just these help pages, not phone support or the product itself

Very dissatisfied
Very satisfied

Why did you give this rating?

Anything else you want to tell us about the help?

AccountRight Plus, Premier and Enterprise, Australia only

There are four ways to adjust an employee's leave depending on the scenario:

MethodWhen to use
Adjust year-to-date leave balancesIf you've paid an employee the wrong amount of leave.
Adjust carried-over leave balancesIf you need to enter accrued leave from a previous payroll year. This may be required if you've started using AccountRight part way through the payroll year.
Transfer leave balances from one entitlement category to anotherIf there's a change in the way an employee's leave is accrued, such as changing from an hourly pay rate to a salary.
Adjust a leave entitlement payroll categoryIf an entitlement has changed. See Leave and entitlements for details on setting up entitlement categories.

Let's step you through each of these.

If you're adjusting leave hours for several employees, run the Entitlements Balance Detail report to see your employees' current entitlement balances.

To adjust year-to-date leave balances

Unlike carry over leave balances, you can't change the year-to-date hours in the employee's card. If you need fix the leave balance owed to an employee, you can either:

  • adjust the hours in the next pay run, or
  • record a leave adjustment paycheque for the affected pay period. This method requires you to record a void paycheque as described in the procedure outlined below.
  1. Go to the Payroll command centre and click Process Payroll (Pay Employees in older software versions). The Process Payroll window appears.
  2. Select the option Process all employees paid.
  3. Select Bonus/Commission from the drop down.
  4. In the Payment Date field, enter the date you want to record the adjustment.
  5. Enter a pay date range in the Pay period start and Pay period end fields. This should be for the pay period you are adjusting.
  6. Click Next. The Select and Edit Employees Pay window appears.
  7. Select the employee that the adjustment is for.
  8. Click the arrow in the Edit column next to the employee's name. The Pay Employee window appears.
  9. Type a reference in the Cheque number field to show it is an adjustment, for example ADJ.
  10. If you want to provide additional information, enter a description of the adjustment in the Memo field.
  11. Delete all hours and amounts shown in the window. You need to do this so you don't re-record any pay amounts for the period, other than the leave adjustment.
  12. In the relevant leave accrual field, enter the adjustment leave hours in the Hours column. For example, if you need to subtract 5 hours from the employee's holiday accrual, type -5 next to Holiday Leave Accrual as shown in our example below.
    Pay employee window with zero value and -5 entered against leave accrual category
  13. Click OK. A warning message appears asking if you want to void the paycheque.
  14. Click OK. The Select and Edit Employee window appears.
  15. Click Record. A message appears confirming the number of paycheques to record.
  16. Click Continue. The void paycheque is recorded and the Process Payments window appears.
  17. Click Close.


To adjust carried-over leave balances from a prior year
  1. Go to the Card File command centre and click Cards List. The Cards List window appears.
  2. Click the Employee tab and select the employee whose leave you want to adjust.
  3. Click Edit. The Card Information window appears.
  4. Click the Payroll Details tab.
  5. Click Entitlements. The Entitlements section displays the total number of hours an employee is entitled to take as sick and holiday pay.
  6. Type the entitlement hours carried over from a previous period in the Carry Over column next to the entitlement category.
  7. Click OK then click Close to return to the Card File command centre.
To transfer accrued leave from one entitlement category to another
  1. Link the new entitlement category to the employee.
    1. Go to the Card File command centre and click Cards List. The Cards List window appears.
    2. Open the employee's card and click the Payroll Details tab.
    3. Click Entitlements and select the entitlement categories you want to link the employee to.
    4. Click OK.
  2. Record a leave adjustment paycheque (see To adjust year-to-date leave balances above). Note that you need to enter a negative number in the Hours column for the old entitlement and a positive number in the Hours column of the new entitlement.
  3. Unlink the employee from the old entitlement.
    1. Go to the Card File command centre and click Cards List. The Cards List window appears.
    2. Open the employee's card and click the Payroll Details tab.
    3. Click the Entitlements option and deselect the entitlement categories you want to unlink from the employee.
    4. Click OK.