You are viewing an old version of this page. View the current version.
When you link a PDF file or Excel spreadsheet, you can specify the PDF bookmark or Excel worksheet as a reference.
Excel 2013, Excel 2016, and XLS, XLSX and XLSM file types are supported for adding Excel spreadsheets with references.
This feature does not support password protected files. Only the Entire document reference option is available.
- Open the workpapers period. See Opening an existing period. The Prepare Trial Balance (Workpapers) table is displayed.
- Select the detail or header account in the table.
Click the checkbox in the first column for the selected account.
Click Link document on the TASKS bar.
Another way of linking an external file to a selected account in the table, right-click and select Link document.The Link External File window opens.
- Ensure that the correct account is displayed in the Account drop-down field.
- Click Browse in the Select external file section. The Attach External File window opens.
- Navigate to the location where the PDF file is stored and find the file.
- Click Open.
If the Document name is already in use, a message will appear asking if you wish to add the document with a suffix attached. If you click OK, the document will be automatically added to the account.
- Ensure that the path and filename in the File field are correct.
- If you are linking to a specific PDF bookmark or Excel worksheet, select the reference from the Reference drop-down.If the external file does not contain any references, then a link will be created to the Entire Document.The Document name field is automatically filled with the name of the file that is to be linked to the period. If you are linking to a PDF bookmark or Excel worksheet, then the bookmark/worksheet name enclosed in brackets is added as a suffix to this value. You can change this value by deleting the existing text and entering a new Document name.
The Document name must be unique. An error message is displayed if the Document name is already in use.
- Select the Rollover this document to the next period checkbox. This will include the document in the next rollover period. During rollover, the previous workpapers period is used as a base. If this option is selected the link to the document will be recreated and included on the same account in the next period.
- Click Preview. If you are linking to a specific PDF bookmark or Excel worksheet, the file opens at the specified reference. If you are linking to the entire file as it does not have any references, then the document opens at the first page. Preview the displayed information and check that the reference is correct.
- Click Link. The external file is linked to the selected account. The external file is displayed as a sub-row below the account in the table. A document link icon identifies a linked document.