- Created by admin, last modified by AdrianC on Nov 27, 2017
Typically you'll only need to electronically pay suppliers or employees. But you can also electronically pay a customer as a quick and easy way to process a refund. For all other refund payments, see the AccountEdge help (Australia | New Zealand).
Because you can't record banking details in a customer's card, you'll need to create a supplier card for the customer to process the electronic payment.
For more information on electronic payments, see the AccountEdge help (Australia | New Zealand).
- Go to the Card File command centre and click Cards List. The Cards List window appears.
- Click the Supplier tab then click New.
- Enter the customer's name and contact details. You can press the TAB key to move between fields.
- Click the Payment Details tab.
- Enter the customer's banking details.
- Click OK.
This account is needed as a temporary "holding" account for customer electronic payments.
- Go to the Accounts command centre and click Accounts List. The Accounts List window appears.
- Click the Asset tab then click New.
- As the Account Type, select Bank.
- Enter an Account Number which suits your account list.
- Enter an Account Name, such as "Customer Clearing Account".
- Click OK.
A credit note must be created to process the refund against the original sale. The steps required to do this differ depending on the particulars of the refund. For more information on customer credits, see the AccountEdge help (Australia | New Zealand).
Once a credit note has been created:
- Go to the Sales command centre and click Sales Register. The Sales Register window appears.
- Click the Returns & Credits tab. The credit note you created should be listed.
- Click the credit note then click Pay Refund. The Settle Returns & Credits window appears.
- In the Account field at the top of the window, select the clearing account created at Task 2 above.
- Click Record.
Now that the refund amount is sitting in the asset account, you need to record a Spend Money transaction to transfer it to the electronic clearing account, ready to be paid to the customer.
- Go to the Banking command centre and click Spend Money. The Spend Money window appears.
- Select the Group with Electronic Payments option at the top of the window.
- In the Card field, select the supplier card you created for the customer in Task 1 above.
- In the Amount field, enter the amount of the refund. This should match the amount of the refund processed in Task 3 above.
- In the Acct No. field (in the first line of the transaction) enter or select the asset account created in Task 2 above.
- Select the N-T tax/GST code.
- Click Record.
Providing your company file has been setup to make electronic payments, you can now process the refunded payment to the customer electronically. For more information on electronic payments, see the AccountEdge help (Australia | New Zealand).