If you have upgraded to AccountEdge Network Edition and are unable to see available hosts in the Company File Browser, this can be caused by the following:
- There may be a firewall blocking the connection
- FileConnect may not be running on the host
- You might be accidentally starting an incorrect version of AccountEdge
Complete the following tasks:
First we need to identify the cause of the issue. To do this, start by ensuring the host machine can open and access company files.
Can the host open a company file?
Yes - this tells us that AccountEdge is correctly installed on the host machine. Go to task 2 below.
No - make sure the FileConnect app running (Apple Menu > System Menu > AccountEdge). If it's not running, start it.
Is access being prevented because of a firewall?
Go into Apple Menu > System Preferences > Security and Privacy > Disable the firewall.
Has this resolved the issue?
Yes - you'll need to add an exception for FileConnect in your firewall and then re-enable the firewall.
No - AccountEdge and FileConnect will need to be uninstalled and reinstalled as described below.
Once we have identified that the host can open the company file, we need to confirm that a network machine can access the host.
When opening Browse for a Company file, is the host listed?
Yes - this means that we can see the FileConnect service on the host machine.
No - communication may be prevented due to the firewall. Go into Apple Menu > System Preferences > Security and Privacy > Disable the firewall.
Has this resolved the issue?
Yes - you ll need to add an exception for FileConnect in your firewall and then re-enable the firewall.
No - you need to confirm installed program versions. Open AccountEdge > AccountEdge menu > About AccountEdge.
Compare this with the same screen on the host machine - do they match?
Also check the FileConnect version (Apple menu > System Preferences > AccountEdge)
Compare this with the version number on the host machine - do they match?
If the version numbers differ between either program, you'll need to uninstall and reinstall AccountEdge NE on the workstation. Note: It is not necessary for FileConnect to be started on the workstation.
Can the workstation open files?
- Start FileConnect on the workstation.
- Make sure a copy of Clearwater (the sample company file) is in the Databases folder.
- Check if the workstation can access this file.
If you can access a file locally and program versions have been compared but you cannot access a network file, you may have another firewall, security program, or network issue which is preventing communication. You will need expert assistance from an IT support technician to investigate and resolve these issues.
To remove AccountEdge and FileConnect, FileConnect must be stopped and its files removed.
The files to be removed are:
- Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/Acclivity/FileConnect
- Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/Acclivity/FileConnectHelper
- Macintosh HD/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.acclivity.fileconnect.plist
- Macintosh HD/Library/PrefPanes/AccountEdge.prefPane
- Macintosh HD/Library/Preferences/com.acclivity.fileconnect.plist
- Macintosh HD/Library/Preferences/com.acclivity.fileconnect.plist.lockfile
After removing these files, reboot the computer to ensure the files are not active.
AccountEdge NE can then be trashed then reinstalled.