- Created by admin, last modified by BrianQ on Oct 19, 2018
Choose your RetailManager version to see how to set up a USB docket printer.
- Install the driver software supplied with your docket printer. Follow the instructions from your printer manufacturer to do this.
- In RetailManager, go to the Setup menu and choose Hardware. The MYOB RetailManager Hardware window appears.
- Click on the Docket Printer tab. The Docket Printer window appears.
- Select the Use Docket Printer option.
- From the drop down list, select the USB Printer option.
- Click in the Model field and select your docket printer from the list. If your printer supports second colour printing, double width printing or a paper cutter, the control codes required to activate these features are displayed in the appropriate fields.
- Select the Activate option and select either Half Cut or Cut to activate the paper cutter. Note: If your printer doesn't have a paper cutter, deselect the Activate option.
- RetailManager displays the Paper Cutter control codes for your selected printer. Check that these values are correct and change them if required.
- In the Lines to advance before cut field, enter the number of lines you want the docket to advance before it is cut. The recommended number of lines is 10.
- Click Test to make sure your paper cutter is functioning correctly as per your specifications.
- RetailManager displays the double-width printing control codes in the Double Width On and Off fields for your selected printer. Check that these values are correct and change them if required.
- Click Test to make sure your printer is printing double-width. On the docket that is printed, the first line Double Width On should be printed in double width, and the second line Double Width Off should be printed in normal width. Note for double-width printing If you do not require double-width printing, delete the values in the Double Width On and Off fields.
- RetailManager displays the second colour printing control codes in the Second Colour On/Off fields for your selected printer. Check that these values are correct and change them if required.
- Click Test to make sure your printer is printing in a second colour. On the docket that is printed, the first line Second Colour On should be printed in the second colour available, and the second line Second Colour Off should be printed in black. Note for second colour printing If you do not require second colour printing or you are using a single colour ribbon, delete the values in the Second Colour On/Off fields. If your printer cannot print in two colours, do not enter any values in the Second Colour On/Off fields.
- Click Apply to save your changes and Close to close the window.
- Specify the type of dockets you want to print to your docket printer. For more information refer to your RetailManager user guide.
Having trouble setting up your USB docket printer?
See Troubleshooting RetailManager docket printers, refer to the printer's documentation, or see the RetailManager user guide.
RetailManager v11 and earlier supports this connection type by relying on the printer's ability to emulate a Serial Interface (also known as a COM port). This COM port emulation enables RetailManager to display the relevant Port number within the Docket Printer Hardware options.
Different printers achieve emulation in different ways. Two common port emulation methods used by USB printers are:
- By installing a "virtual" port directly to the system device manager, or
- By configuring a "virtual" port within the printers own configuration utility.
Docket printers which do not emulate a COM port are not compatible with RetailManager v11 and earlier. The information contained within this support note will not assist in setting up these devices to work with RetailManager. COM port emulation is a feature of many USB Docket Printers, but not all. You should check with your POS hardware reseller or the Printer manufacturer to determine whether your Printer is capable of port emulation. Our support note Configuring Epson USB docket printers may also be useful.
Given the wide range of POS docket printers available today and the specific process different printers take in USB driver installation; please see your USB printer documentation for detailed instructions on completing this step successfully.
MYOB does not store documentation on USB Driver installation for POS Docket Printers; if you require further assistance installing the USB printer driver please contact your reseller or printer manufacturer. Information on installing your printer s USB driver can often be found on the manufacturer s website. MYOB Retail Support is unable to provide direct technical support or advice on specific USB Printer Driver installation.
If your printer is a Posiflex PP-7000 USB Thermal Docket Printer; USB Driver installation information can be found within your printer's documentation and also within the RetailManager user guide at Appendix A, Setting up Hardware.
Upon successful installation of your USB Printer Driver and port emulation, you can proceed to step 2 below.
For detailed instructions on completing this step, see the RetailManager user guide Appendix A, Setting up Hardware. If your printer model isn't available for selection in RetailManager, complete the task below to add it.
If you need further assistance in setting up your printer options in RetailManager, our support note Docket printer setup in RetailManager may help.
Adding your printer to the list in RetailManager
As there are many different USB printers available and many new models arrive on the market almost daily, not all of these will be available to select from within RetailManager until new upgrades are released.
It's possible to manually add specific models to your Docket Printer Model List in RetailManager. Be aware that these steps require a reasonable degree of understanding of computer and/or RetailManager concepts. It is strongly recommended to backup your shopfront prior to attempting these steps.
- Close RetailManager. If you are operating a network, close RetailManager on all computers.
- Simultaneously press the Windows and E keys on your keyboard (the Windows key is between the Ctrl and Alt keys). The File Explorer window appears.
- Browse to the RetailManager installation folder. By default this will be C:\RetailM.
- Locate the Peripheral.txt file.
- It is recommended to backup the Peripheral.txt file at this point. To do this:
- Right-click the Peripheral.txt file and choose Copy.
- Go to the Edit menu and choose Paste. The file will be copied with the name Copy of Peripheral.txt .
- Double-click the original Peripheral.txt file. The file will open in Notepad and display a list of Hardware Device Settings.
- Scroll down through the file to the line reading [Docket Printer 37].
- Highlight this line along with the lines directly below outlining the settings for this printer. Your selection should appear as below:
- Go to the Edit menu and choose Copy.
- Place a blank line below the line reading BITMAP=.
- Go to the File menu and choose Paste. The details for Docket Printer are copied below the original ones.
- Change the docket printer number in the first line of the new copied printer details from 37 to 38.
- In the TYPE= line, replace the word Other with the name/model of your Docket Printer. The final result should appear as below (Star TSP100 used as an example Printer):
- Go to the File menu and choose Save.
- Close the Peripheral.txt file. RetailManager will now display your Printer in the drop down Model selection list.