You are viewing an old version of this page. View the current version.
You can move AccountRight v19 and your company file to a new computer in a few easy steps.
OK, let's step you through it.
A backup is a snapshot of your company file and all your customised templates (forms, reports and personalised letters). You first need to create the backup then copy it to a portable storage device, such as a USB stick.
Create a back of your company file
- Go to the File menu and choose Back Up.
- Select the Back up all data option then click Continue.
- Specify where you want to save the backup file. To make it easier to find later, save it to your Desktop.
- Click Save.
Copy the backup file to a portable storage device
Copy the backup file from the old computer onto your portable storage device. This lets you transfer it onto your new computer. If you need help copying files, refer to your Windows help.
If you have your AccountRight software CD, use that to install the software on your new computer. Otherwise you can download AccountRight from my.MYOB (providing you have a current support subscription).
Insert the software CD or double-click the downloaded installation file to install AccountRight on the new computer.
Don't have AccountRight support? If you purchased AccountRight but don't have a support subscription, call us and we'll email you a link to download your software (in Australia call 1300 555 123, or in New Zealand call 0508 328 283).
With AccountRight installed on your new computer, you're ready to copy and restore the backup.
Start by copying the backup file from the portable storage device to your computer. To make it easier to find later, copy the backup file to your desktop.
Next, restore the backup on your computer.
- Open AccountRight on the new computer.
On the Welcome to AccountRight window, click Explore the sample company.
- On the Sign-on window, click OK. The sample company file opens.
- Go to the File menu and choose Restore.
- Select the backup file you copied from the old computer, then click Open.
- On the Save As window, locate and click the AccountRight installation folder on your C: drive. By default this will be C:\Enterprise19, C:\Premier19, C:\Plus19, or C:\Standard19 (depending on your AccountRight version).
- Click Save. A message similar to the following appears:
- Confirm in the displayed message that you're restoring your company file to the correct location, then click OK.
- You're then given the option to sign-on to your restored company file. You can if you like, but there's one final task to complete. So it's OK to sign-on, or close AccountRight.
When you created your backup, your customised templates such as forms, reports, and letters, were also backed up. And when you restored the backup, a TEMPLATES folder was created which contains these customised templates.
Using File Explorer (by simultaneously pressing the Windows and E keys) open the folder where you restored your company file, then find and double-click the TEMPLATES folder to display its contents. It will contain a number of folders, depending on what you have customised and saved in AccountRight. For example, there may be folders called Forms, Graphics, LETTERS, Custom, or SPREDSHT (in Australia there may also be folders called BASlink and Payment Summaries). These folders relate to customised data in AccountRight. To continue using these customised templates on the new computer, you'll need to move the folders from the TEMPLATES folder into the folder where you restored your company file.
Take a look at this example where the TEMPLATES folder is in the C:\Premier19 (this is where the backup was restored). Notice the TEMPLATES folder contains a number of other folders.
Simply copy all the folders from your TEMPLATES folder, and paste them into the folder where you restored your company file. You'll be prompted to confirm that you want to do this because there are already folders with those names in the destination folder. Click Yes to these messages (or OK, or Copy and Replace - as applicable based on your Windows version).
Once you're done, that's it! You've successfully moved your AccountRight software, your company file, and all associated data to the new computer.