After the Data File Repair Team have worked on your company file, they'll send you an email confirming what they've done. This help topic steps you through how to:
- download your repaired file
- rename your old company file
- restore the repaired file.
The email from the Data File Repair team will have instructions for accessing and logging in to the secure server to download your file.
Once you're logged in to the secure server, right-click your returned file and choose where to save it — note where you saved it.
The returned file will be named according to the service that's been performed:
Data File Repair service
Original File Name
Updated File name
Serial Number Removal
SNR - MyCompanyFile
PWD - MyCompanyFile
Data File Repair
REPAIRED - MyCompanyFile
Before you open the returned file, we recommend you rename your old company file so it's not mistaken for the returned one.
- Simultaneously press the Windows and E keys on your keyboard (the Windows key is between the Ctrl and Alt keys). The Windows Explorer window appears.
Locate your existing company file. This should be stored in your AccountRight program folder. Here are the default program folder names and locations for AccountRight v19:
If you're using The AccountRight program folder will be here (v19.12 or earlier) The AccountRight program folder will be here (v19.13 or later, Australia only) AccountRight Standard
Double-click the AccountRight program folder to open it, then scroll through the files to locate your old company file.
- Right-click the file to be renamed and choose Rename.
- Enter the new name (overwriting or adding to the existing name) then press the Enter key. Here's an example:
You will need to use AccountRight's restore function to open your returned file. First, make sure the returned file is saved in your AccountRight program folder.
|If you're using||Save the file here (v19.12 or earlier)||Save the file here (v19.13 or later, Australia only)|
You're now ready to restore the file.
- Start AccountRight.
- On the Welcome window click Explore the sample company.
- Go to the File menu and choose Restore. The Select File to Restore window appears.
- In the Restore window, select the backup file you want to restore and click Open.
- Select the folder where you want to save the restored file and rename the file as required. By default, the restored file will be saved in the same folder as the backup file.
- Click Save. A message appears showing that the company file will be restored to the selected folder.
- Click OK to complete the restore.
Your repaired company file is now restored and ready for use.
When viewing files on your computer, you can set a preference to ensure file extensions are displayed. A file extension is the 3 letters that appear after the dot in a file name. For example, the file extension for AccountRight v19 company files is .myo. Older company files might have a .prm or .dat file extension.
Backed up company files have the file extension .zip.
To ensure your computer displays file extensions, complete the following:
- Open the Control Panel.
- In Windows 8 and later: Right-click the Windows Start button (in the bottom-left corner) and choose Control Panel.
- In Windows Vista and 7: Click the Windows Start button and choose Control Panel.
- Under View by (in the top-right corner), select Small icons.
- Click Folder Options (or File Explorer Options).
- Click the View tab.
- Under Advanced settings, deselect the option Hide extensions for known file types.
- Click OK.