How satisfied are you with our online help?*
Just these help pages, not phone support or the product itself
Why did you give this rating?
Anything else you want to tell us about the help?
New Zealand only
The Accounting Income Method (AIM) is a new way of calculating provisional tax for small businesses in New Zealand.
Before you begin
Ensure that all of your ledger accounts are mapped to the AIM statement of activity fields. We use this mapping to accurately and automatically fill in your statement of activity from your Essentials data. See Using the AIM provisional tax option (New Zealand) for more details.
MYOB Essentials will automatically work out your provisional tax payments using the data you've entered throughout the period. Your due dates for AIM are generally the same as your GST due dates (monthly or two-monthly).
Before filing you'll be able to check it and make changes if you need to you. Once you're happy with the figures, you can submit it to Inland Revenue all without leaving MYOB Essentials.
- Go to the Reports menu and choose All reports.
- In the Business reports section, click GST & provisional tax filing.
- To continue working on an existing return, click the date listed in the Period end column, then skip to step 5.
- To start a new AIM statement of acitivty:
- Click Add return, The Return details page appears.
- Enter your IRD number and select AIM as the Return type.
- If prompted, enter your myIR user ID and password.
- Don't have a myIR user ID? It's easy to register for myIR by heading to the IRD's registration page.
- Getting an error when logging in to the IRD website? Clear your internet browser cache and try again. (Learn how to do this in Chrome or another browser)
- Select the Period end and Accounting basis.
- If prompted (based on the Period end you've chosen), select Yes or No to the questions.
- Click Create. The AIM return page appears.
- The statement of activity appears, pre-filled with the amounts from your MYOB Essentials business.
- If you need to make any manual adjustments, do so in the Manual tax adjustments section of the statement (A1-A13).
- (April 2019 onwards) Enter the Shareholder’s IRD number for anyone who received a shareholder salary from your business (and hence paid provisional tax). In subsequent returns, you can select the Delete Shareholder option for any shareholders to be removed.
- When you're happy with the return, click Validate to check the figures.
You'll need to fix any errors before you can file the statement of activity.
- Once the statement is validated and you don't want to make any more changes, click Prepare to file.
- If any issues are found in the return, you'll be prompted to fix them before preparing to file. If no issues are found, the return will be ready for lodgement with Inland Revenue.
- When you're ready to file your AIM statement of activity with Inland Revenue, click File.
A pop-up will appear confirming the filing.
- Click File and your return will be filed with Inland Revenue.