- Created by RonT, last modified on May 30, 2023
How satisfied are you with our online help?*
Just these help pages, not phone support or the product itself
Why did you give this rating?
Anything else you want to tell us about the help?
MYOB Partners only
Now that your client's file has been upgraded to the new MYOB Essentials Connected Ledger (now called MYOB Business), take a moment to confirm that everything is set up properly.
- Have you updated your MYOB Essentials Connected Ledger bookmark?
- Check if you need to add users
- Is your bank reconciliation is up to date?
- Review your client's bank feed rules
- Is the chart of accounts set up the way you like it?
Have you updated your MYOB Essentials Connected Ledger bookmark?
Sign in to the upgraded software at: app.myob.com. If you've bookmarked essentials.myob.com, you should update your bookmark.
Check user access
When we upgrade a file, we perform series of checks to ensure we grant access to the right users. As we are cautious in assigning access, occasionally a user from you practice may lose access to the upgraded file. If you need to add them back in, it's easy to do.
Some reasons why a user won't have access include:
- You previously used the old Partner Dashboard — the Users section of the old Partner Dashboard doesn't synchronise with user access management in MYOB Business. This can mean that a user is listed in old MYOB Essentials Connected Ledger but not in the user list in my.MYOB. We only give access to an MYOB Essentials Connected Ledger user who is also on your my.MYOB user list.
- The user is linked to multiple practices. We don't provide access to a user that is a member of another practice.
To check what users have access to the file, open MYOB Business, click the business name and go to Users — see Inviting a user to your MYOB business.
If you need to add a user back in, it's easy to do from my.myob (My account > Manage online file access) — see Requesting access to a client file.
Other things you should know about user access
You can only invite an Advisor from the Users page in MYOB Business
- Only Owners and Online admins are able to set up bank feeds.
If you need to change the Owner user of the business, you'll need to contact us.
Confirm file configuration in Client Accounting
If you use AE/AO with common ledger, your upgraded MYOB Essentials Connected Ledger file will be automatically configured into Client Accounting in MYOB AE/AO. But if you want to check that it has been configured, do the following:
- Log in to AE/AO using the practice login details.
- Open the client whose ledger you've upgraded.
- Click the Client Accounting tab.
- You'll see the following 3 messages if the upgraded file has been reconfigured correctly :
- Balance Forward Accounts have been copied from Old Essentials.
- Your Client's custom account group mappings have been linked with the new ledger configuration. Review your account group mappings before generating reports.
- We've migrated your client's Essentials ledger and have updated your configuration settings. Open the workpaper/Trial balance and select Refresh ledger balances.
- Balance Forward Accounts have been copied from Old Essentials.
- On the right side under the Configured Ledger details, the Ledger type will show MYOB Essentials (new).
To give access to users for a new Essentials file, see To give a staff member access to a new-version MYOB Essentials file
Check your bank reconciliation
Bank reconciliation in the upgraded business will be based on the last completed reconciliation in the old software. It's a good idea to verify that it's up to date.
To check that bank rec is up to date
Go to Banking > Reconcile accounts. On the Reconcile accounts page, the following fields are filled in for you based on the last completed reconciliation in the old software:
If the business uses bank feeds, check that all bank feed transactions have been received for the period you want to reconcile, and that they've been matched or allocated or entered into MYOB Business.
If something doesn't look quite right, it may be that there was a bank rec that was saved, but not completed, in the old software – only completed bank recs are migrated during the upgrade.
If that's the case, you will need to redo the bank rec.
For the steps on doing a bank rec in MYOB Business, see Reconciling your bank accounts.
Looking for the Bank reconciliation report? Go to the Reporting menu > Reports > Banking reconciliation. It's good practice to print and save this report after you reconcile — see Banking reports.
Take the free, interactive course about bank reconciliation:
Review your client's bank feed rules
There are a lot more useful features in bank feed rules, but there's also a bit more we're still working on. This can affect whether your client's old rules work in MYOB Business, so it's worth checking them.
To check bank feed rules
From the Banking menu, choose Bank rules to open the Bank rules page.
Check the list of rules. If you need to view or edit the setup of a rule, click its name. See Managing rules.
Changes that may affect bank feed rules
There are a number of changes that can affect whether old rules work in MYOB Business.
Rules that were previously not supported
Rules set up in the following ways were previously not supported. We’ve developed fixes for these, but if you've previously been upgraded and appear to be missing some bank feed rules, it may be that they were set up like the examples below.
- Rules with conditions Begins with or Ends with were not supported in earlier upgrades. These conditions are now available in MYOB Business, but if you were upgraded earlier than June 2021 you may find that these bank rules didn't come across in the upgrade. You'll need to re-create these rules in new MYOB Essentials. See Creating rules.
- Amount Equals and/or allocated by Amount:
- allocated to Equity account or Retained Earnings account:
- Multiple Description Contains conditions using OR, which have a combined total of more than 255 characters:
Some words in conditions may be skipped
Migrated rules that have the condition Contains and 'DEPOSIT', 'WITHDRAWAL', 'BANK CHARGES', or 'INTEREST CHARGES' may not match new transactions in MYOB Business. In the old MYOB Essentials Connected Ledger, such words would identify what transaction types to create from the rule.
But in MYOB Business, this is not automatically done, even though some banks still include these words in bank feed transaction descriptions. So it's a good idea to check any rules that may have these conditions. In order for these rules to match new transactions, you'll need to edit your rule conditions to remove these words, or replace them with other words that appear in the bank transaction.
The reason for this change is that in MYOB Business you can now create rules for specific transaction types, such as Spend money and Receive money, Bill and Invoice rules. So MYOB Business no longer looks for such identifying words in a rule's conditions.
New things you can do with rules
- You can now choose if the rule will apply to all bank accounts or to a specific bank account.
- You can assign a contact to the rule.
- And you can enter a description to automatically appear in transactions created from the rule.
See Creating rules.
Look over the chart of accounts
Review the chart of accounts to make sure it's set up the way you like it
To review the chart of accounts
Go to the Accounting menu > Chart of accounts.
To view, edit or delete an individual account, first click its Account name.
To edit multiple accounts, click Edit accounts.
To delete multiple accounts, select them and then click Delete accounts.
Need to delete an account? If you have a duplicate account or account you don't need, you can delete it if:
- has never been used in a transaction
- has no journal entries
- has a zero balance
- is not a linked account
Instead of deleting an account you can deactivate it.
For more information, see Adding, editing and deleting accounts.
Learn more about what's new in MYOB Business
For more information on the upgrade of MYOB Essentials Connected Ledger:
- visit our website: small businesses | MYOB Partners
- check out the free upgrade training course
Need some help?
Contact our support team and we'll be happy to help.