Child pages
  • Changing an employee's salary or hourly rate




How satisfied are you with our online help?*

Just these help pages, not phone support or the product itself

Very dissatisfied
Very satisfied

Why did you give this rating?

Anything else you want to tell us about the help?

New Zealand only

For Australian help, click here.

Whether it's a pay rise or a pay cut, it's easy to update an employee's details in MYOB Essentials. The same process is used for hourly based and salaried employees.

Also, a pay rise might also mean the employee is owed back pay.

OK, let's step you through it:


To change an employee's salary or hourly rate

To change an employee's salary or hourly rate

  1. Go to the Payroll menu and choose Employees.
  2. Click the employee's name to open their record.
  3. On the Employee details tab, change the hourly rate or annual salary value. If the employee's hours vary, you can update their hours when you do a pay run.

  4. Click Save. The new pay rate will now apply.



How do I change an employee from full time, part time or casual?

How do I change an employee from full time, part time or casual?

You can change the employee's Status in their employee record (Payroll menu > Employees > click the employee's name > Employee details tab > Status).

If the employee has unpaid leave which needs to be paid out, see Processing a final pay. There may be rules around the payment of unused leave, so check with your accounting advisor if unsure.

You can then update the employee's payroll details to match their new working arrangement. See Enter an employee's pay details for help.

Check the rules with an expert

If you're not sure what an employee is entitled to under their new arrangement, start with the Employment New Zealand website.

You'll also find lots of experts on our community forum who are happy to provide advice on your situation.