You are viewing an old version of this page. View the current version.
Version 1 Next »
How satisfied are you with our online help?*
Just these help pages, not phone support or the product itself
Why did you give this rating?
Anything else you want to tell us about the help?
Overtime is time worked in addition to normal working hours, usually paid at a higher rate
- To add overtime to an employee's pay, set up a new pay item (see below for instructions)
- The same approach can be used for penalty rates, weekend rates, or other additional pay rates
OK, let's step you through how to set up a new pay item:
Set up a DVL (Domestic Violence Leave) pay item
- Go to the Payroll menu and choose Pay items.
- Click Create earning.
- Set up the earning:
- For the Type, select Standard earning.
- Enter a Name for the earning such as "Special leave".
If you'd like a different, more personalised, name to show on payslips for this earning, enter a Name for payslip. Otherwise, this can be the same as the Name field.
- For the Rate, select Per Hour.
- Leave the amount blank.
- Select Taxable from the tax drop down.
Exclude CEC Select this option if compulsory employer contributions should be excluded from overtime payments. If unsure, check with your accounting advisor or check the IRD website. Exclude from AWE and OWP calculations Select this option to exclude the pay item from the Annual leave calculations for Ordinary weekly pay or Average weekly earnings. However, the pay item will still be included in the Use Ordinary weekly pay (OWP) formula. Learn more about Leave calculations.
Insert EXAMPLE IMAGE
- Click Save.
- When you're done, assign the pay items to your employees as described in the next task.
Assign the pay item to an employee
To include an overtime pay item in an employee's pay, you need to assign it to them. Here's how:
- From the Payroll menu, choose Employees.
- Click the employee's name.
- Click the Pay items - earnings & deductions tab.
- In the Earnings section, click the dropdown arrow next to the Add earning... field.
- Choose the overtime pay item to be assigned to the employee. The pay item is assigned to the employee.
- Repeat step 5 if you need to assign any additional pay items to the employee.
- Click Save.
- Repeat from step 2 to assign pay items to another employee.
OK, you're now ready to pay overtime when you do a pay run. See the next task for details.
Pay the overtime
When an employee works overtime, enter the overtime hours on their pay.
- Go to the Payroll menu and choose Enter Pay.
- Select the employee to be paid then click Start Pay Run.
- Enter the Hours of overtime being paid. Here's an example of 2 hours double time being paid:
- Continue processing the pay as normal.
If you've previously set up pay items using a set rate you can delete these and use the new multiplier method above. See Modifying or deleting pay items for detailed instructions on deleting pay items.