How satisfied are you with our online help?*
Just these help pages, not phone support or the product itself
Why did you give this rating?
Anything else you want to tell us about the help?
If you need to make payments for bills (or payments that are associated with your suppliers), enter these from the Purchases section. For more information see Purchases.
You use the Spend Money page to record any money you spend that is not a payment to a supplier for a bill you’ve created in the Purchases section. You might use the Spend Money page to record withdrawals and payments like everyday expenses, bank charges or donations.
You can apply a Spend Money payment to a single MYOB Essentials account, or you can split the payment between two or more accounts.
To enter a Spend Money payment
- From the Banking menu, select Spend money. The Spend Money page appears.
- In the Pay from field, select the bank or credit card account that the payment is being taken from.
- If you want, select the contact you’re making the payment to from the To list.
- Add a note about the payment in the Notes field. The note should describe the overall nature of the payment—for example, one payment may be for a number of items (e.g. a monthly invoice for office supplies).
- Check that the correct date is selected in the Date field. If not, enter a new date or click the icon next to it to display the calendar and choose a date.
Make sure that the reference number is correct. If not, enter a new reference number in the Reference number field.
Changing the numbering
If you change the reference number, you’ll change the automatic numbering. For example, if you change the number to SM000081, the next time you use Spend Money, MYOB Essentials will display the new reference number as SM000082.
- If you account for tax/GST, choose an option from the Amounts are list.
- If you want the prices to include tax/GST, choose Tax/GST inclusive. Note that this is the default tax preference.
- If you want the prices to exclude tax/GST, choose Tax/GST exclusive.
- In the Allocate to column, select the MYOB Essentials account to which the payment amount will be allocated. The account name and the Tax Rate/GST Type appear in the list.
- In the Description column, add a short description about the item for which you’re making a payment.
- In the Amount column, enter the amount you’re paying into this MYOB Essentials account. The Tax/GST Amount appears in the list.
If you’re paying for more than one item in this transaction, repeat the instructions from step 8 for each item.
You can add more lines to the list by clicking Add lines, or delete selected lines by clicking Delete Line.
Individual items can be allocated to different accounts where appropriate.
- (Optional) To attach a related document to this spend money transaction, click Attachments. Learn more about attaching documents to spend money transactions.
- When correct, click Save to save the payment, or click Save & Add to add another Spend Money transaction with the same Date and Pay from account details already selected for you.
To edit a Spend Money transaction
- From the Banking menu, select Transaction history. The Transaction history page appears.
- In the Account list, select the bank account from which the Spend Money transaction was paid, or select All bank accounts.
- Find the the Spend Money transaction that you want to edit in the list and click the link in the Reference column for that transaction. The Spend Money page appears, showing the transaction details.
If you’re having trouble finding the transaction, it might be helpful to adjust the date range shown in the From and To fields, or to click on the Debit or Credit column headings to show the transactions in order of amount spent or received.
- Make the required changes to the transaction. If the transaction:
- has not been reconciled or matched, you can change any details you require.
- has been reconciled or matched, you can change everything except: the account you’re paying from, the date, the reference number and the total amount. You can change the amounts of individual line items, as long as the Total Amount shown at the bottom of the page remains the same.
- If you need to change any other details, you’ll need to unreconcile or unmatch the transaction before editing it. See Undoing a bank reconciliation and Matching bank transactions for more information.
To create a Spend money from the In tray
- Go to your In tray
- Select your document and click Create new Spend Money
- Fill in the details
- Click Save
- Your Spend money will be created and your file will be attached to it
Why am I getting the error "AccountSysId cannot be NULL"?
When saving a Spend Money transaction, a Save Transaction Failure error "AccountSysId cannot be NULL" will occur if you've manually entered an account number instead of selecting the number from the list.
In this example, a non-existent account number has been typed into the Allocate to field.
To fix the error, click into the Allocate to field and select the applicable account from the list.