- Created by admin, last modified by AdrianC on Dec 08, 2015
What is a domain name?
Domain names (or web addresses) are used to address computers and information on the internet. Most commonly, they're used to locate websites. For more information about domain names, see About domain names (web addresses) and extensions.
Why do I need one?
Choosing a domain name is important because much like a phone number or mailing address, it's used to locate your website by prospective customers.
Your domain name is more than just a technical shortcut. A short, memorable domain name adds credibility to your small business. And having your own domain name makes your company look professional—after all, first impressions count.
How do I register one?
You can register as many domain names as you like through MYOB Atlas. For more information, see Registering domain names (Australia | New Zealand).
Tips on choosing a domain name
Here are some tips on selecting a domain name for your business.
- Keep it short. Short domain names are easier to remember, and are also easier to fit on business cards and other marketing materials.
- Keep it simple. Make it easy to type and easy to spell.
- Make it memorable. If it's memorable, visitors are more likely to pass it on and remember it in the future.
- Make it unique. Choose something unique—if your domain name is similar to your competitor's, it may confuse your customers.
- Make it relevant. Choose keywords or phrases that potential customers will be searching for. Research this by doing a keyword search in Google and seeing which websites show up and how they're ranked.
- Avoid using slang. Slang might mean something to you, but it probably won't be something that prospective customers associate with your business.
- Avoid using numbers. Avoid using numbers, particularly the number 0 which is easily confused with the letter O. Also avoid numeral substitutions. For example, use 'for' instead of '4', and 'to' instead of '2'.
- Choose extensions. If you have an international scope, then go for .com, .net and .org domain name extensions. If you're aiming for your local market only, then go for, say, .com.au and .net.au., or .co.nz and .net.nz.
- Brainstorm. Bounce ideas off your family and friends. Think of your ideal domain name, and then brainstorm as many words and combinations of words related to it as possible.
- Start now! Domain names are unique, so secure yours as soon as you can before someone else snaps it up!
The tips above should be used as a guide only. If you find two domain names (say, one that matches your business name, and another that incorporates a keyword customers are likely to search for), you can register both. Each domain name you register with MYOB Atlas is linked to your MYOB Atlas website automatically.
Once you've found the perfect domain name, it's a good idea to register variants of it. It'll protect your brand and online identity, and drive more traffic to your website. For more information, see About domain names (web addresses) and extensions.