Open and modify a text file using Microsoft Excel
Using Notepad and finding it difficult to understand the data that's been exported? Then try using Microsoft Excel instead.
Import/export files can be opened in Microsoft Excel to view or update the file's contents. Take a look at this video to see how it's done.
<iframe width="560" height="315"
You might do this to fix an import file which isn't importing properly, or to bulk update multiple records in your company file.
Remember - when viewing an import file in Excel:
- each column in the import file represents a field in your company file.
- each row in the import file represents a different record, e.g. a separate card, item, account, etc.
- if importing transactions, leave a blank row between each transaction (so AccountRight knows where one transaction ends and the next begins)
For details on the requirements of each field, see Import and export fields.
To open a text file in Excel:
- Open Microsoft Excel and go to File > Open.
- In the Files of type field, select All Files(*.*) and then locate and open the exported text file.
- In Step 1 of the Text Import Wizard, select the Delimited option, then click Next.
- In Step 2 of the Text Import Wizard, select either the Tab or Comma option (depending on whether you selected to export the data as Tab or Comma separated), then click Next.
- In Step 3 of the Text Import Wizard, click Next.
- Click Finish. The file contents will be displayed and you can now edit the cells as required.
|UI Text Box
When you finish editing, you must click Yes to the message to save it as Text and continue using this format. This will ensure you can import the file back into your MYOB software as the same type of file it was exported as (tab or comma-separated).